Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Wrinkle in Disbelief

My main reaction on seeing the Wrinkle in Time movie in class was to do two things:

1. Laugh - for long periods of time
2. Cry - for long periods of time.

I have the backing of the novel for understanding the film, but for those poor souls who must have sat down ready and expecting to encounter a classic movie to enjoy forever - I say this: It's Okay. I understand.

What is it about adaptations that almost always fail to live up to their print counterparts?
Is it imagination?
No - it can't be that. Not really.
A substantial amount of disappointment stems from the fact that our vision and the vision of of people who make the movies are different.
I guess what makes the freak is our own imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Good title.

    I wrote a bit about adaptations on the main course Blog, but I wanted to add: perhaps adaptations that try too hard to be authentic, rather than accept that they're adaptations, are the ones who fail.

    ReplyDelete